Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Roll over Excel Spreadsheets (Append data into existing file and save as a new file)

MangoBro
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

I am trying to move data from prior year spreadsheets into a template spreadsheet (with slightly different column headers) and then save as a new file. The template should not be modified. Ultimately, there will be multiple prior year files to be rolled over. I have trouble with appending prior data into the template and then save as a new file because the Output tool seems always overwrite the template. Let me know if I missed anything, thanks!

Pic 1: Prior1

Pic 2:Temp

Pic 3:New1

Prior1Prior1                                                                                                                                         TemplateTemplate
New1New1

3 REPLIES 3
kat
12 - Quasar

Hi there

I'd think that the idea behind the append option is to append data to an existing file and save that same file - i.e. you can't save it as a different file. What you could try is to read your template in with the input tool, union/join your data in Alteryx and output it to your new file. Would that help? 

If that's not what you meant, you could perhaps share a sample workflow.

MangoBro
7 - Meteor

Hi Kat,

Thanks for your reply! The issue is I really need to have the appended data on the temp spreadsheet, not a new spreadsheet because of all the Excel vba codes inside. Since there might be multiple iterations of using the template. Just appending the data and save the same file (template) might not work.

MangoBro
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

It seems using the Blob Input & Ouput tool can be a way to work around it.
image.pngBasically the tool will import the Template as a Blob and will leave the Template itself untouched. No vba codes will be lost. In order to keep the formatting, I have to create a hidden tab "XX_2" to feed the "XX" tab via Excel formula. Feel free to share your thoughts.
Blob I&O.PNG

Labels