Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Right trim on numeric

vrbravo
7 - Meteor

Hi,

In the below table the first column has data type fixed decimal 19.4. Now in the second column i want to have the output as in below example

109.1574 --> 109.15 

So what i tried is tried to convert the value as string limiting to length "6"  . i need to use column in some numerical calculation so when i change the data type back to Fixed decimal 19,2 .. the values are rounding off.

Another example 103.1051 ... what i want to use in formula is 103.10  NOT 103.11 as shown in the below image..

any idea on how to retain the values i want but still be in numeric ?

Capture.PNGCapture.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
You can use TOSTRING([field]) to allow you to perform string type functions, and tonumber to convert it back.

For example...

TONUMBER(LEFT(TOSTRING([FIELD]),2))
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I'd suggest:

FLOOR([Value]*100)/100

I did a blog on various roundings a while ago: https://jdunkerley.co.uk/2015/07/29/rounding-calculations-in-tableau-and-excel-and-alteryx/

vrbravo
7 - Meteor

I dont think would give result as needed because the Left function would give only the left two digits i.e 10 . So i tried  then Tonumber(Substring(Tostring(xxx),0,5)) kept the data type as 19.2

vrbravo
7 - Meteor

This is what i was expecting. Thanks !!

so i tried the following and brought me the same .!  little bit unwanted method 

if [Value] < 100 then

Tonumber( Substring(Tostring([Value]),0,5))

else Tonumber(Substring(toString([Value]),0,6))
endif

Labels