Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Returning values that are close

tiverson
8 - Asteroid

I have a list of accounts that need to be adjusted.

The Account column is the original account, where the New Account column is what the original account needs to be replaced with.

Since these are not numbers, I was struggling with how I could replace the accounts quickly

tiverson_0-1638372270142.png

4 REPLIES 4
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @tiverson ,

without seeing your data it's difficult, but if you have that table, then you can join the data to that table using the original value column, then replace it with the value from the second column, or use the Find and Replace tool.

If you want to post some data/mock data then I can build that for you if you like.

M.

Bulien

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @tiverson ,

Since these are not numbers like you said, maybe you can try using a Find & Replace tool? This works similar to a Vlookup in Excel, and you can find out more about how to configure the tool by opening the sample workflow within Alteryx by clicking "Open Example"

Untitled.png

This will allow you to replace the old account name with the new one/

Cheers,

Angelos

tiverson
8 - Asteroid

Here is a file with my data.  

This is only a small sample of accounts that I will need to find and replace

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @tiverson ,

Without knowing what you're trying to do here, I've built an example of each method.

The first, using a simple table join, shows your lookup values and assigns the account number.

mceleavey_0-1638386483780.png

mceleavey_1-1638386496660.png

The second uses the Find and Replace tool to achieve the same, by finding any part of the lookup value in the New Account field, and returning the Account value. This is similar in this functionality to the VLookup function in Excel, as @AngelosPachis  mentioned.

mceleavey_2-1638386647624.pngmceleavey_3-1638386681925.png

I've attached the workflow, obviously you might want to change the order of things, and what I'm looking up might be the wrong fields, but you can change that.

Hope this helps,

M.

Bulien

Labels