Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Return the row number of a certain value

khans9
5 - Atom

I want to know which row number is my data starting from. Each set of data has "Customer name" in the field names.

Here is a sample of one of the datasets

1 Schedule 
3 Factory NameBranch NameCustomer name
4 Ax1
5 Ax2
6 Cx3
7 Sx4
8 Dx5

I want 3 as output because that is the row number where one of the columns has "Customer Name". (Column number of "customer name" can keep changing through different datasets)

Thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5
jamielaird
14 - Magnetar
  1. Add a Record ID tool to number your rows
  2. Use a Multi-Field Formula tool to flag the row that contains "Customer Name"
khans9
5 - Atom

Could you please describe/show how to use multi-field to flag the row?

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi,

you can add a RecordId to create an identifier for the row, then prospose the data set using RecordId as a Key field and filter the row containing "Customer Name" as a value. RecordId will return the row number. I've attached a sample workflow.

Best regards

Roland

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Hi @khans9 

Here are two approaches. The second one (which doesn't use Multi-Field) is actually a little simpler so I'd recommend that instead.

Screenshot 2019-05-15 at 16.56.19.png

khans9
5 - Atom

Thanks a lot. Problem solved!

Labels