Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Return the first 5 rows for each repeated name

Seffana_
7 - Meteor

Hello, 

I have a list of Award names that repeated multiple times. Unfortunately the number of repeats vary for each award name and their corresponding ceremony. 

Does anyone know how to return the first 5 repeated award name for every award name irrespective of how many repeats there are? So, basically I would like to keep the stuff that are highlight in the image and discard the rest. 

Screenshot of results workflowScreenshot of results workflow

It most likely is easy, but I have working on the whole workflow the entire and I cannot think of a solution. 

Thank you. 

2 REPLIES 2
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Seffana_ 

It's pretty easy using the Tile Tool.

I overcomplicated a little bit to keep things organized and to generate duplicate values, but the key is to use the Tile Tool and then Filter the first five "Tile_Sequence_Num" of Unique Values.

WFSolution.PNG

WF Solution appended.

Cheers,

Seffana_
7 - Meteor

Hey, Thableaus!

Thank you so much! It worked! That was so simple.

I have another (silly) question. 

Capture.PNG

Do you know how to fill rows in the reverse direction? As in get the string value in Record #15 [Award] to fill up the empty rows all the way to #1 and Record #27 [Award] to fill up the empty rows all the way up to #16 and so on?

I have tried multi-row formula but only know how to use it going in a downwards direction. 

Thank you and warm regards, 

Seffana

Labels