Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Return the first 5 rows for each repeated name

Seffana_
7 - Meteor

Hello, 

I have a list of Award names that repeated multiple times. Unfortunately the number of repeats vary for each award name and their corresponding ceremony. 

Does anyone know how to return the first 5 repeated award name for every award name irrespective of how many repeats there are? So, basically I would like to keep the stuff that are highlight in the image and discard the rest. 

Screenshot of results workflowScreenshot of results workflow

It most likely is easy, but I have working on the whole workflow the entire and I cannot think of a solution. 

Thank you. 

2 REPLIES 2
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Seffana_ 

It's pretty easy using the Tile Tool.

I overcomplicated a little bit to keep things organized and to generate duplicate values, but the key is to use the Tile Tool and then Filter the first five "Tile_Sequence_Num" of Unique Values.

WFSolution.PNG

WF Solution appended.

Cheers,

Seffana_
7 - Meteor

Hey, Thableaus!

Thank you so much! It worked! That was so simple.

I have another (silly) question. 

Capture.PNG

Do you know how to fill rows in the reverse direction? As in get the string value in Record #15 [Award] to fill up the empty rows all the way to #1 and Record #27 [Award] to fill up the empty rows all the way up to #16 and so on?

I have tried multi-row formula but only know how to use it going in a downwards direction. 

Thank you and warm regards, 

Seffana

Labels