Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Return all, multiple results in a field that contain text from another field

danniemme
7 - Meteor

I have officially given up on trying to do this in excel so want to try it in Alteryx, which I'm more confident can do this but I don't even know how to begin. I have 1 spreadsheet with a field of unique alphanumeric items (column A) and I have a separate spreadsheet with unique alphanumeric items (column B.) I want to find all fields in B:B that contain the text in A4,A5, A6, etc. Please see example below. Any guidance appreciated.capture2.png

6 REPLIES 6
Aaron_Harter
11 - Bolide

@danniemme check out the Find & Replace tool!

1.PNG

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @danniemme I mocked up a workflow let me know what you think?

Contains_19022020.JPG

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Why does IA1000 get assigned to IA789?

TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

This is pretty close to your output. I don't understand why IA1000 matched to IA789 in your example. Am I missing something?

danniemme
7 - Meteor

that was a typo of mine in example, intended to put IA7891000

danniemme
7 - Meteor

Thank you @JosephSerpis! This  does also work and gets closer to my end output but it does take longer than using find/replace when using in real life m due to the field size of the actual datasets at the end of the day (10's of thousands x 10's of thousands.) Thank you for this though, these are two tools I do not commonly use and there's always more than one way to skin a cat so-to-speak!

Labels