Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Return all, multiple results in a field that contain text from another field

danniemme
7 - Meteor

I have officially given up on trying to do this in excel so want to try it in Alteryx, which I'm more confident can do this but I don't even know how to begin. I have 1 spreadsheet with a field of unique alphanumeric items (column A) and I have a separate spreadsheet with unique alphanumeric items (column B.) I want to find all fields in B:B that contain the text in A4,A5, A6, etc. Please see example below. Any guidance appreciated.capture2.png

6 REPLIES 6
Aaron_Harter
11 - Bolide

@danniemme check out the Find & Replace tool!

1.PNG

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @danniemme I mocked up a workflow let me know what you think?

Contains_19022020.JPG

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Why does IA1000 get assigned to IA789?

TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

This is pretty close to your output. I don't understand why IA1000 matched to IA789 in your example. Am I missing something?

danniemme
7 - Meteor

that was a typo of mine in example, intended to put IA7891000

danniemme
7 - Meteor

Thank you @JosephSerpis! This  does also work and gets closer to my end output but it does take longer than using find/replace when using in real life m due to the field size of the actual datasets at the end of the day (10's of thousands x 10's of thousands.) Thank you for this though, these are two tools I do not commonly use and there's always more than one way to skin a cat so-to-speak!

Labels