Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Retrieving workflow xml from Gallery

obridgeman
7 - Meteor

We were wondering if it was possible to retrieve the workflows that are saved on the Gallery.

The reason for this is that there is a handy xml parser tool that allows you to parse the xml of an Alteryx workflow to give you tool details such as:

Input tool - [database where the data is coming from]

Formula tool - [what formulas are used]

Output tool - [database where the data is going]

The workflows that are saved on the Gallery however are stored in the MongoDB, but I assume that to download or run a workflow from the Gallery that there is a method of retrieving the workflow from the Mongo and converting it to its original form.

Does someone know the tool or method that is used to do this so that we might replicate it to pull off all of our workflows on the gallery and then analyse them using the above mentioned xml parser?

Many Thanks in advance.

Oli

24 REPLIES 24
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
The workflow I have included is created using 2019.2; you can downgrade it using the trick in this blog...

https://www.theinformationlab.co.uk/2018/07/12/downgrading-alteryx-workflows/

Ben
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Fixed workflow included the macros you identified were missing.

Ben

obridgeman
7 - Meteor

Hi Ben,

Many thanks for your help I got the macro working with your instructions!

I can output the list of workflows and owners perfectly, but I think something might be going wrong with the yxzp retrieval.

I select Endpoint2 for the second macro and the files download to the designated folder, but each file is 1kb and I can't open any of them.

When trying to open in Alteryx I get an Unhandled Exception and when I try to unzip I get 'cannot open file as archive'.

Any ideas?

Thanks

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

So after the formula which generates endpoint 2 you have something like this...

clipboard_image_1.png

And your second API is definitely picking up the right EndPoint URL? as in the new one? and getting the data as a blob?

Updating Media

What sizes are the blobs after the download?

clipboard_image_3.png

As an FYI you can't import a .yxzp as an input file into Alteyrx, even though the functionality is there to support the input of .zip files; this is why I do the command prompt extraction of the files.

obridgeman
7 - Meteor

Hi,

The endpointurl2 is being created but the download header is unauthorised which may explain why they aren't downloading correctly. 

clipboard_image_0.png

Is there a setting to allow the download of workflows in this manner as I do have the admin api permissions?

Thanks,

Oli

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I don't recall having to switch any settings; perhaps just check that the URL being generated is appropriate and that your key and secret are correct?

Otherwise I/m out of ideas!

Ben

obridgeman
7 - Meteor

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your help I got it working! I had foolishly forgot to change the URL to http (ours isn't https) and it worked!!!

Many Thanks!!

sagarkharpude
7 - Meteor

Hi @BenMoss

I am using this workflow since last one month. I really liked it. It was working fine but currently this workflow is throwing an error  at the filter tool like "Error: Formula (13): Parse Error at char(53): Unknown variable "id" (Expression #1)"

Nothing changed in the workflow but I am wondering why it's throwing this error now. Do you have any idea?

Previously it was showing number of fields after crosstab's output but now it's not showing any fields apart from Workflow. PFB.

sagarkharpude_0-1587376759875.png

Thanks,

Sagar

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

@sagarkharpude check your download is retrieving data, I would suspect it isn't.

Ben

sagarkharpude
7 - Meteor

Hi Ben,

Till crosstab everything looks good. Actually I am not able to see any data after crosstab. Issue came after server upgrade. 

Labels