Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Retrieving Year From Each Dataset

smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

Hi All --

We just received out Alteryx license about 2 weeks ago and so far this tool is a game changer. I am working through one of my first problems and it seems I am a little stuck.

Attached is an Excel spreadsheet that I am going to prep. This is for 2014 only , but will I will also bring in 2015 and 2016 data as well. We might even go back 10 years if this works. On row 5 is the year. This year is on row 5 in all datasets. For the life of me, I can't seem to figure out how to take that year and associate it wit my dataset. Maybe down the right side. I want to do this for the three years to begin with.

The ultimate goal is to bring the prepped data into PowerBi and visualize it. Any help on pulling a year from a field and repeating it along all the data would be helpful.

Thanks, Seth

6 REPLIES 6
mborriero
11 - Bolide

I would use an Input with an Excel and writing an SQL to get just the cell with the year

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Input-an-Excel-range/ta-p/1248

If you can attach the excel file I will create a workflow.

DanS
9 - Comet

Hey Seth, 

Would the attached work for you? 

It's selecting the 5th row and appending the year down the right side of the data. You should be able to modify from here to get the year where you want it.

Thanks,

Dan

smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

Data attached. 

Thank you for your assistance.

Seth

smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

Let me try.

mborriero
11 - Bolide

This is just an example how you can get the data in the way that you want.

Hope this helps.

smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

This is great! Thank you for your help. 

Seth

Labels