Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Retrieve Table name from a TWB file

vishantshenoy
7 - Meteor

Hello Alteryx Experts,

Please note I am new to Alteryx and am looking for help to read Metadata from TWB file.The issue that I am facing is I am not able to get table for a column which is available in datasources tag of the TWB XML file. If anybody could point me in the right direction would really be great.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Vishant

16 REPLIES 16
vishantshenoy
7 - Meteor

Hi @ 

Please find the contents of preferences_outer_xml:-

"<preferences>
<preference name=""ui.encoding.shelf.height"" value=""24""/>
<preference name=""ui.shelf.height"" value=""26""/>
</preferences>"

The XMl file is referenced from the TWB available in below link:-

https://github.com/tableau/TabMon/files/2678117/TabMonWorkbook.zip

Thanks for your continuous help.

Thanks,

Vishant

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

HI @vishantshenoy , I believe the file that you shared is different from the screenshot that you mentioned in the previous post.

For reference 

Your screenshot-

grazitti_sapna_0-1602224422108.png

Your file-

grazitti_sapna_1-1602224449400.png

Can you please check this?

Thanks.

Sapna Gupta
vishantshenoy
7 - Meteor

Hi @

Sorry that was a mistake, please note the file should be TabMon.TWB. I was trying with another TWB file that has multiple tables tables.

Let me know if you have any firthere questions please.

Screen5.PNG

Thanks,
Vishant
grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

@vishantshenoy , can you please try the workflow I provided earlier if you are able to fetch the table name, using file tabmon.twb?

Thanks. 

Sapna Gupta
vishantshenoy
7 - Meteor

Hi  @

Please find attached the output excel generated from Tabmon.twb file. Table name is not captured in the output.

Thanks,

Vishant

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @vishantshenoy , this is the table name that you are using. I guess this requires a login that is why there is no information about the table. Give a try to a .twb file using excel as a datasource.

Also, your tableau workbook is trying to connect to tabmon so this might be your source.

grazitti_sapna_0-1602229712432.png

Thanks.

Sapna Gupta
vishantshenoy
7 - Meteor

Hi 

Please note I tried the test with excel data source which works fine if one tab is selected. But when two tabs are joined using master-detail relationship, the table name is not displayed. The first screen below is with single excel tab and second screen is two tabs selected:-

First screen

Screen7.PNG

Second screen

Screen6.PNG

Thanks,

Vishant

Labels