Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Rethinking joins

Carluccio555
9 - Comet

So it has occured to me that the standard Join Tool is an inner join and it can therefore create more records than it has been fed.

If I want to create a join that is fed 100 records on the Left and will output those same exact 100 records but then creates a new column that has the corresponding Right matching data (where a match was found) What is the best approach?

2 REPLIES 2
Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @Carluccio555 

Assuming that you want to bring these values from table B to table A (like a vlookup), you can remove duplicates on table B based on the join key and union L and J after the join

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1669405690480.png

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Unique takes the FIRST row where a unique value occurs. What you should really think about is "why do I have non-distinct data - and what are my distinct data subsets? How would I expect this to behave when there are multiple values."

Try the Find/Replace tool. That will not drop any of your original records.

Labels