Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Restrict multiple user at the same time using the alteryx app

Prity
6 - Meteoroid

Scenario: What we want to achieve

App has been created to run the workflow, Multiple users have access to run the app at the same time and we want to avoid this, we desire to implement a feature in which “if one user is already running the app and other users try to run the app at the same time for him/her workflow or app should abort”.

We would appreciate Input and more ideas apart from above to achieve this feature in alteryx workflow and app 

4 REPLIES 4
MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Prity 

There's no such functionality in Alteryx as far as I'm aware.

What I'd do as a workaround is to introduce an arbitrary input into the workflow which would connect to an excel file. Excel only allows a single user / app to access it at any one time so if the app is already running and someone else attempts to run it it will throw an error and abort. 

Prity
6 - Meteoroid

@MichalM 

What i m doing  but still not able to achieve it 

• Formulae tool is used to check if the file is present in the directory or not with a Flag value 1 or 0. Also, Test and message tool used if present give error not then run
  • Checkbox ticked if workflow encounters an error then it should terminate/Abort
  • We are using VB script to create the app.lock file in the directory folder (giving a command in even to create the app.lock file, before workflow starts running) and also implemented the Script to delete the app.lock file.

Issue encountered

Whenever 2nd user tries to run the app, it is successfully able to check the lock file but instead of completely aborting the workflow, the app waits for the completion of a run (by another user) and then it continues running the session and generates the output. We want to abort it completely for 2nd user if the app/ workflow is already running.

can you please elaborate more on the method suggested by you 

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Edit: Ignore me, I need to learn to read properly, you have already said you have checked the cancel running on error!

Can I check why it is that you only want one user to be running the app at any given time?

BRomat
5 - Atom

I want to run into your issue and throttle the completion of a workflow until the first user's is complete. How did you do that? Can you provide an example?

Labels