Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Restart the workflow where it error-ed out

jdevar243
7 - Meteor

Hi

i have huge dataset workflow with various transformations involved which atleast takes 4hrs to load the data . In case of failure ,Is there a way to restart load or workflow where it stopped instead of starting again .

Thanks

Jagan D.

6 REPLIES 6
T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @jdevar243,

The feature you are looking for is the Cache and Run Workflow.  It is selected by right clicking on a tool at a point in your workflow that you want to save the process to and select "Cache and Run Workflow".  The workflow will run as usual, but tools up to and including that point will then be surrounded by bubbles, indicating that the data has been cached and not rerun the next time the normal run workflow button is clicked.  This is great for debugging workflows.

jdevar243
7 - Meteor

Thanks T_Willins.

I have incoming data which have 200 million records . Do the cache and run workflow handle that large amount ? For sample data i use cache and run workflow but i am not sure if it is useful for the large datasets.

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

This article provides some details for caching.

Just take the Cache and Run!

Caching in 2018.3
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works-Blog/Just-take-the-Cache-and-Run-Caching-in-2018-3/ba-...

PeteLacz
8 - Asteroid

@jdevar243 

Hey jdevar243, I'm actually looking for a similar functionality to address the error "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (32)" from the output tool. I just want it to wait 5 seconds, and try again. The gallery, or the designer are possibly too fast sometimes when trying to outpyut various data sets into multiple tabs on a single excel file on a scheduled basis.

Have you had any luck with this?

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

The CReW macro pack has a macro Wait a Sec: Chaos Reigns Within

You may need an Iterative macro if you need more than occurrence of:  try, wait a few seconds, then try again

This post describes the process I use to avoid write-contention issues: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Clear-the-output-file-before-running-a...

And if you'd care to add a Like: for Excel output, multiple sheets, this Idea requests the ability to write different formats/different schemas without the need for a batch macro: 

Enhance options for Excel output - Alteryx Community

Chris

rachelgomez
7 - Meteor

Select the workflow line and click on Restart workflow button. The workflow is restarted after error successfully. Now we can see how to create a workflow with the help of SAP_WAPI_CREATE_EVENT function module. We can also restart a workflow with a different initiator with this function module.

Regards,

Rachel Gomez

Labels