Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Rerun Workflow on Condition

Verenala4
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone!

I have a kind of odd question. 

Background: my team has a team building activity each week which one person has to lead. This is usually selected randomly. However, I thought it would be nice to have an alteryx workflow that runs every week and randomly selects one member of the team and notifies this person by email. 

I got the "random selection" part but now I can't figure out a way to basically tell my alteryx workflow to "restart/rerun" if the random selection matches the top 5 people from before. Basically, I want to prevent the same person being selected every other week.

Is there a way to do this?

Below is my workflow:
Capture.PNG

Thank you,

V

3 REPLIES 3
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @Verenala4 ,

Here is my idea:

Why don't you add to your workflow a colum that adds +1 every time one person is selected? So you can keep a ledger of every time a person has been selected.

Scheming it would be:

Take list -> sort by column [Times one has been selected]

-> sample and take top 5 out

-> do random selection with the rest

-> notify the person by mail

-> add +1 to [Times one has been selected] 

-> replace the value on the table

What do you think about it?

Cheers

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

Instead of trying to re-run if the workflow selects a recent top 5 person from your history table, try removing the most recent 5 people from the Input table at the beginning.

At the start of your workflow...Take your Past Team Leaders, sort by date descending, use Sample tool to skip the first 5 records, use the Join tool (left anchor = your Input Names table, right anchor = your History table with top 5 removed) and continue processing with the Left anchor from the Join.

Verenala4
8 - Asteroid

Thank you @afv2688 and @ChrisTX for both of your answers!

I ended up using @afv2688's solution just because it was there first but I am sure the other one works just as well. I liked the idea of adding the column with the times they have been selected and overwriting this result in the original table at the end of the workflow.

I also added Report Text tool to create a custom formatted "Email Body" and an Email Tool so the people are directly notified and it works great.

Thank you both for your input!

Labels