Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Requested File Format Not Supported

Phermes1
7 - Meteor

I've seen this has been asked a couple of times already, but the solutions for those folks don't seem to be working for me.

I run the workflow in the app and it works fine. I run it from the Gallery and I get "File Upload Error. Requested File Format is not supported"

The file I'm trying to select is a simple text file, but it has no file extension. I've tried adding .txt or .flat to the end to see if that would work, and it doesn't make a difference.

I've tried updating the arbitrary file specification in the browse tool several different ways, and none of them helped.

Any help is appreciated. I'm out of ideas

11 REPLIES 11
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Phermes1 ,

without seeing your workflow it's very difficult for us to help.

Can you post your workflow so we can see the config?

We don't need data at this stage.

M.

Bulien

Phermes1
7 - Meteor

The input portion of my workflow is in the first image - is it not coming up?

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Phermes1 ,

Images are no good, we need the workflow.

M.

Bulien

Phermes1
7 - Meteor

Gotcha, sorry

HomesickSurfer
12 - Quasar

Hi @Phermes1 

Perhaps config your Action Tool, selecting the default 'Update Input Data Tool'.

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Phermes1 ,

thanks for that. I know what the problem is. When you run this in the workflow it will work because you've set it to load in the file marked with an asterisk and with a format of Flat ASCII.

However, when you overwrite this with the value from the file input tool it will automatically change the format to the format of the file extension. This is causing an error because it can't find the file extension.

Try attaching the file browse tool to a text input to get the filepath. Then embed the input tool as configured in a macro and feed the value of the text input into the control parameter. In the macro use the control parameter to update the input string in the input tool. Repeat for output tool.

You need to ensure your Action tools are updating the correct value.

This should retain the rest of the config in the input and output tools.

I hope this helps,

M

Bulien

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Phermes1 ,

I've attached the updated app, this is working for me.

M.

Bulien

Phermes1
7 - Meteor

OK, thanks, I'll give it a shout. I'm very new with Alteryx so it's gonna take me a little bit to work out what you're talking about. 🙂

Phermes1
7 - Meteor

Hey, I've been messing with this on my own and not getting very far, but I hadn't noticed your second post saying you had gotten it working. It doesn't look like you attached the workflow, though. Could you share? Thanks!

Labels