Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

[Reporting tools] How can I create a group/parent header for columns?

hungdm
8 - Asteroid

It will result in the group Opening/Purchasing/Closing as the following photo.

10 REPLIES 10
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @hungdm ,

Take a look at this topic. 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Sub-headers-Sub-fields-in-Reporting...

It is not an easy task and it is not pretty as you would think.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @hungdm, seconding @fmvizcaino's thoughts here, achieving the custom column header formatting in excel using Alteryx is possible, but tends to be an undertaking in itself.

For cases like these, I usually setup the template manually in excel, and have alteryx update the rows beneath these column headers (i.e. just update the table rows and not necessarily recreate the whole table). Attached is an example I put together to help you get a sense of my approach.

hungdm
8 - Asteroid

@fmvizcaino 

I tried the workflow of yours and it works like 80%.

There are several issues I noted in the photo below, and how to make border for the group of header text added?

hungdm
8 - Asteroid

@fmvizcaino Could you kindly review that?

Thanks!

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @hungdm ,

Sorry for taking so long to answer your question. I think it is not possible to create the border as you wish to.

I suggest you to check @AbhilashR approach, maybe that will work better and look prettier as well.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

hungdm
8 - Asteroid

Hi @AbhilashR,

Did you use the manually define table technique in this topic for your excel template?

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Yes, I manually define the range in excel.

hungdm
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @AbhilashR!

I manually define the range accordingly. However, when the flow inserts new row, it includes the data column header (in alteryx) as the first data row. How can I avoid that?

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

If you are using Alteryx version 2020, you have the option to skip field names in the output tool.

AbhilashR_0-1590982467105.png

Labels