Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Reporting tool to upload file to FTP

ShreyaSharma
8 - Asteroid

Hi Team,

At present, I am getting the output using the reporting tool. Now I want this output to be send to FTP server.( Upload the file)

I read lot many discussion on the page but I think non of the example are clear.. Is it people are not FTP server to upload the files .

If someone has very good understanding on the Upload to FTP Kindly reply back.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @ShreyaSharma 

Here's an example of how to write a file using the reporting tools and then take the same file and send it an FTP server.

danilang_1-1618229188780.png

It relies on using the %Temp% variable so that it will work in Designer and on the Gallery.   The green container processes your data and renders the output file to the temp location.  The blue container starts with a Text input to hold the temp file path and the FTP url, then uses a Blob Input to read the output file as a blob so it can be sent to to the FTP s using the Download Tool.  The red container handles the synchronization between generating the file at the top and then reading it back in in the bottom  The combination of Block Until Done, Summarize tool and the Union will guarantee that the File is completely written to the output before it is read by the Blob Input.  The Filter tool here removes that extra row that is added by the summarize tool.  

The FTP URL and the user name and password in the FTP tool are dummy values, so you'll have to enter the correct values for you situation.  For more information on using the Download Tool to upload to ftp sites see this post 

Dan

ShreyaSharma
8 - Asteroid

Hi @danilang 

One question say for example I have multiple fields in the output so how to use this summarize .. Will it be just first field to change to count and rename the output field name or i have to do for multiple fields. 

ShreyaSharma_0-1618230788623.png

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @ShreyaSharma 

Any field will do.  It's just to get the results down to a single record.

Dan

ShreyaSharma
8 - Asteroid

Hi @danilang 

Can you please check the error i am getting 

ShreyaSharma_0-1618475770804.png

ShreyaSharma
8 - Asteroid

Hi @danilang 

Can you please reply on my below question.

Thanks

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @ShreyaSharma 

The URL that you're trying to read from is badly formatted.  Check the spelling of it and make sure that it matches the URL that you want to read

Dan 

Labels