Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Reporting Tool Running Time

Gamaliel
10 - Fireball

Hello,

I am asking for tips on how to shorten the running time for this workflow. After I attached reporting tools, I noted that it takes longer to run it (couple of minutes).

Thanks.

Gamaliel_0-1626941891006.png

9 REPLIES 9
Gamaliel
10 - Fireball

Even if I open it through analytic app, still the same results.

Gamaliel_0-1626942256340.png

Jonny
11 - Bolide

Hi @Gamaliel ,

one starting point for you could be 'Enable Performance Profiling'. 

below excerpt from: Workflow Configuration | Alteryx Help

Jonny_1-1626942595167.png

Jonny_0-1626942546713.png

Have you tried that already?

if it is really the reporting tools that are taking the most time then it would be easier to help you by having a sample workflow as example so I can see the configuration you are using.

hope it helps!

cheers!

Jonny

Gamaliel
10 - Fireball

@Jonny  Please see the attached file. Now the running time is shorter since I changed the input files to sample files to protect client data privacy. The problem lies in using this workflow for larger input data. Hopefully, we can find a way to be efficient in this.

Thanks.

Jonny
11 - Bolide

Hi @Gamaliel ,

I am not sure I have anything relevant to add here, the workflow looks very neat, well done!

I have profiled it and the render (55%) and input data (22%) tools seem to be taken most of the running time:

Jonny_0-1626945281169.png

The reporting tools config & design is sound from what I can see.

The input from excel is not the best for performance if you have large amounts of data, usually csv, txt, yxdb, could run faster. 

other than that, I could not tell. Maybe others will have something to add!

cheers!

Jonny

Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I've checked your workflow @Gamaliel but @Jonny said it all !

Reporting tools are pretty slow and not known for their performance so you have to expect some processing time when you use them.

Gamaliel
10 - Fireball

@Jean-Balteryx @Jonny same here. I noticed that the workflows are properly configured too. I finished running using the original file and it took me approximately 20 minutes. 

Using also csv, txt, yxdb sounds good. 

Thanks good. Patience is a virtue.

Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Thank you @Gamaliel but you should accept @Jonny's answer as solution, I only confirmed what he said ! Credit goes to him !

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Performance profiling is definitely a really helpful option. Thanks for sharing this feature @Jonny 🙂👍

And its True that rendering does take time since its creating a formatted object.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Gamaliel 

Here is my observation.

You are using below higlighted configuration which may not be needed. You can deselect them.

With enabled: 22.3%

atcodedog05_0-1626948593756.png

Without enabled 16.97%

atcodedog05_1-1626948650025.png

I got the same output after disabling it. And header and footer should be other fields than the actual table itself. You can look into this might increase the performance.

Hope this helps : )

Labels