Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Reporting Text Tool - Concatenated data does not carry on

tgill1
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I am currently looking to use the table + reporting text + render tools to create a PDF report. I can get as far as using the table tool to create my table. Below this, I want to add some comments, which I have created by using the summarising tool and concatenating it so each category has all its comments within the same row. For example, 1 row per product, and comments for that appraise all concatenated to be below one another on the same line of data. I want each comment to be as though you have pressed enter, and its below each other

However, when I use the reporting text tool and input this column using 'available fields' and selecting it, it undoes my concatenation, and shows all my data but it's now not on separate rows, and is instead next to each other which looks a bit messy.

E.g., it shows as "Good product. Great price" instead of 

"Good product.

Great price"

Is there a way to maintain the concatenation so that each comment remains on a separate line in the reporting tool?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @tgill1,

Could you create a little dummy example with what you get now and what you would like to have.

I am having some trouble understanding what you want.

Regards

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

There's a couple of tricky steps to get Alteryx to render new lines. 

The default setting in the Summarize tool to Concatenate is "," so you get "Good Product, Great Price". If you want to add a newline, you can update the concat to ",\n", but the Render tools don't recognize this RegEx newline like Designer does.

The PCXML Layout fields generally use html formatting, so ",<br />" is what you want to concat with. However, there's a couple extra steps to get the final result. Basically you render it once, then edit that text to the replacement characters you need, then render again. 

Check out the attached workflow to see this in action. 

tgill1
7 - Meteor

Hi CharlieS,

Your solution works well when the in the reporting text tool, the text mode is to 'Create a new field for this text'. However, I want the text to be placed below the table. I have attached a workflow here which shows what I am trying to do.

Please have a look at the final browse where the KE comments for example are below the table. I would like them to stay below the table, but for each concatenated line to be on a separate line and therefore show: 

KE comments:

[xx]

[text2]

rather than 

KE comments:

[xx] [text2]

Please let me know if you are able to help!

Also, on a side note, just wondering within the table, on the bar graph, whether it is possible to show the figures for each bar as a fixed decimal, rather than a rounded integer? I know you can do this for the other table fields, but is it possible for the bar graph values?

Thanks!

tgill1
7 - Meteor

Hi afv2688,

I have attached a sample workflow and dataset below in this thread, which hopefully explains it...

Please have a look at the final browse where the KE comments for example are below the table. I would like them to stay below the table, but for each concatenated line to be on a separate line and therefore show: 

KE comments:

[xx]

[text2]

rather than 

KE comments:

[xx] [text2]

Also, on a side note, just wondering within the table, on the bar graph, whether it is possible to show the figures for each bar as a fixed decimal, rather than a rounded integer? I know you can do this for the other table fields, but is it possible for the bar graph values?

Thanks for your help in advance!

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I added the newline/break methodology I shared in my attached workflow to your example. You can use a Layout tool to place fields above/below other layout fields instead of relying on the Report Text tool "Place text above existing object" function.

20200131-ReportNewline2.png

The two green containers show where I made updates to your workflow.

tgill1
7 - Meteor

Thank you CharlieS - exactly what I was looking for!

tgill1
7 - Meteor

Apologies! Is there a way to format the bar graph on the table to show it to 1dp or 2dp? Rather than a rounded figure?

Labels