Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Reporting Structure Hierarchy

AlexanderHolzer
5 - Atom

Hello guys!

I was wondering if anyone could give a heads up or maybe show me a partial solution to this question.

Below you will find a task and an attachment of the dataset.

Task:

The provided dataset (in attachment) lists employee information including their employee ID as well as the ID of their manager. Every employee has a manager except the CEO whose manager ID value is null. HR wants to understand the reporting structure hierarchy within the company. How many employees have 3 reporting levels between themselves and the CEO not including their own level and that of the CEO?

Kind regards,

Alexander

5 REPLIES 5
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @AlexanderHolzer 

Check this macro out https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Public-Community-Gallery/Hierarchy-Generation-Macro/ta-p/880709 

Check this weekly challenge you might find workflow which might work for you https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Weekly-Challenge/Challenge-12-Creating-an-HR-Hierarchy/td-p/36740 

Hope this helps : )

Ashutosh
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @AlexanderHolzer , I was looking into this data set , though right now it is difficult for me to deal with it in Alteryx. 

But here find my solution in Excel itself might it will help you.

Hint:- 

1. You need to take the manager Id and match it with Employee ID to find the respective manager name for Each Employee ID

2. Repeat the same process for 3 Reporting levels.(u can use the find replace or Join tool to find it out😜)
  3. for the CEO not included u needs to go 4 levels and exclude level 1st hierarchy where CEO is not included.

feel free to connect anytime.

@atcodedog05 has provided the best links to look into it and learn from it. keep it handy for future reference.

rohit782192
11 - Bolide

ncrlelia
11 - Bolide

Hi @AlexanderHolzer ,

Assuming that the reporting levels will not be a large number, I think you can achieve what you need by using JOIN, no need for macro.

Attached workflow for your reference.

ncrlelia_0-1659778641786.png

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Lelia

barbosaus
8 - Asteroid

@ncrlelia Could you explain step by step? I got lost in your reasoning.

Labels