Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Report Tool - Conditional Format When Value in Cells Repeat

kheuer
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I would like to use the Report tool to format rows when the same value appears in another row. In my specific example, I want to highlight those warehouses that have multiple deliveries coming up. Ideally I want the tool highlight in different colors. Thoughts?

2020-03-17_17-48-06.png

6 REPLIES 6
AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@kheuer - A simple solution would be to

• To identify records with similar deliveries upstream to the table tool
  • Using this identifier write a logic in the Table tool to color records.
  • Unselect this identifier in the Table tool.

I dont think you can automatically assign different colors to different buckets. You might have to manually assign colors to these buckets.

Attached is a sample solution for your reference. Hope this helps.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @kheuer 

In the attached example, you'll see how I identified duplicate records, then generate a random color to be assign to each unique value. This process randomizes the RGB values, so there is a possibility for duplication, so I included an alternative where you could set a list of RGB values to use. 

Like @AbhilashR suggested, these color assignments need to be determined ahead of time and placed in a field that will not be displayed by the Table output. Here's an example expression to specify a specific background colors to be used in the Formula options of Row Rules in the Table tool:

"background-color:rgb(255,255,255);"

Where the RGB values are integers between 0-255. A list of available formatting expressions can be found here in the documentation:

https://help.alteryx.com/current/TableStyleRules.htm 

20200318-ColorDuplicates.PNG

With this knowledge, we now know how to prepare RGB values for the Table tool to use.To randomly assign the 0-255 RGB values, I used the following expression: 

"rgb("
+ToString(Round(Rand()*255,1))+","
+ToString(Round(Rand()*255,1))+","
+ToString(Round(Rand()*255,1))+")"

If you want less intense colors (to avoid overwhelming the visual appearance of the table), you could limit the randomized values to only 155-255 with the following alternative:

"rgb("
+ToString(Round(155+Rand()*100,1))+","
+ToString(Round(155+Rand()*100,1))+","
+ToString(Round(155+Rand()*100,1))+")"

Check out the attached workflow for an example of all this in action.

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@CharlieS - Learnt something new today - "background-color:"+[Color]+";"

I have been using Alteryx for a few years now, but spending dedicated time and answering question has in-turn taught me so much more than I had imagined. Thank you very much for posting this solution! 

kheuer
8 - Asteroid

@CharlieS - woooooooooooooooow! I am sooooooo impressed. 🙂

Thank you soooooo much.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @CharlieS 

Wow!! This is a fantastic hack to dynamically assign colors to groups when there is changing n number of groups.

This was really helpful for me. And an amazing new learning. Thank you @CharlieS  🙂

daniellefzimmerman
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you for the solution!

Labels