Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Report Text Tool removing apostrophes and indentation

Rachael_OS
8 - Asteroid

Hi folks,

Having an issue with Report Text Tool - it keeps removing apostrophes from my input text in the output. 

For example, my input contains "David's", and output shows "Davids". 

Is anyone else having this issue and is there a way to fix this? 

Also, is there a way to keep indentation from input to output in a single Report Text tool, or would I need to do this with a few different tools, or is this even possible?

Thanks! 

7 REPLIES 7
jarrod
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @Rachael_OS ,

i've not had any issues with the reporting tool to that extent. My attached workflow has text coming in as "David's" and it outputs correctly, so maybe there is something else going on there. if you click on the input arrow in the report text tool, do you see the text reading correctly?

For the indenting, are you referring to a newline in the text field that isn't rendering on a second line? if so, you can try splitting by \n then running through consecutive report text tools to "stack" the text. (or split to columns and reference each one in a single tool)

Rachael_OS
8 - Asteroid

Hi jarrod,

Thanks for responding to me and apologies for the delay! I think I was unclear in my original query - the issue I'm having is that I'm putting text into the Report Text tool, but when I generate a Word doc, it's removing the apostrophes from the doc. 

I'm also formatting the text I have in the Report Text tool, so I'm not sure if that's what is causing the issue - it seems to only be happening in this one workflow. 

jarrod
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

one thing i would check (since i haven't seen the workflow in question) is if you put a browse right before the data hits the render tool, is the apostrophe still present? I've tested my workflow on pdf and word and while the newline/indent isn't recognized in the output, the apostrophe is still there. It's completely possible that you've found a bug - trick is finding/replicating it 🙂 

is there a way you could replicate the error in a clean workflow or send me the workflow you are seeing the issue in?

ChiKar
5 - Atom

I am having the same problem Rachael. When I use the Render tool to output to a Word document, all apostrophes are removed. I am interested in any solutions that may come out of this thread. 

Rachael_OS
8 - Asteroid

I got around this by adding an extra apostrophe - e.g. instead of it's I would have it''s

oly
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Looks like it's working well in the text, but not if the fields contain single quote / apostrophe.

For example if I have "Alteryx's email" column in my data table and define Report Text tool as follows:

>>

Alteryx' email:

[Alteryx' email:A] 

>>

oly_0-1660679588026.png

will produce the same result, and not the value of the field that I have. 

oly_1-1660679656668.png

I will use select tool to rename my field as "Email" and amend Report Text tool as follows:

>>

Alteryx' email:

[Email:A] 

>>

oly_3-1660679871526.png

In that case it will produce as expected:

>>

Alteryx' email:

oly.medlicott@alteryx.com 

>>

oly_2-1660679819007.png

Best,

Oly

Szymon_Czuszek
7 - Meteor

Hi Rachel,

I had the same issue today, and I found out that it was because I copied the text from the template, and the template had some weird formatting, which made Alteryx not recognise it as an apostrophe, but unknown sign, so it simply skipped it. Once I replaced the “fake” apostrophe with a real one from my keyboard, it outputted correctly. I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Szymon Czuszek

Labels