Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Replacing shortened words with full word

The_Alternator
6 - Meteoroid

I have a school district field in my data that contains values such as:

EUREKA UNION SCHOOL DIST

JOHNSON CITY IND SCHOOL DISTRICT

PLACER HILLS UNION SCH DIST

BROOKS CO IND SCHOOL DISTRICT

PACER CO PUB CMTY DISTRICT

What I want to do is transform these names to their full name. So I want "DIST" to be replaced by "DISTRICT", "IND" replaced with "INDEPENDENT", "SCH" replaced with "SCHOOL". "CO" replaced with "COUNTY", and so on...

Can I accomplish this with a find and replace tool? Fuzzy matching maybe? I am completely new to these tools and not sure how to configure. Thanks

1 REPLY 1
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Sounds like you're right on track @The_Alternator 

So long as you know all of the values you want to replace, create a Text Input with a mapping of the find/replace values. With your example, it would start like this: 

FindReplace
DISTDISTRICT
INDINDEPENDENT
SCHSCHOOL
COCOUNTY

From there, you can use the Find Replace tool, as you mentioned, with this text as the R input and your data as the F input. Be sure to configure the tool so that it finds any part of the field and matches the whole word only. 

Hope this helps!

Labels