Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Replacing Boolean Values with Header Name

toby_jutras
6 - Meteoroid

Alteryx Folks,

I have an interesting data set that I need to manipulate.  The file comes from a vendor, and has hundreds of columns that contain 0/1 depending on whether the condition described in the column is true.  I need to replace the 1 values with the name of the header, and then ultimately concatenate the values to be more descriptive.  Any ideas?

NameHot DogsHamburgersFriesShakes
Bill0111
Toby1010
Sarah0011

In my example, I'd like the resultant table to read more like this:

NameHot DogsHamburgersFriesShakes
Bill HamburgersFriesShakes
TobyHot Dogs Fries 
Sarah  Fries

Shakes

From there, I'm good with the process to concatenate, but to give you a true visual of my desired end product, it would look like this:

NameFood
BillHamburgers; Fries; Shakes
TobyHot Dogs; Fries
SarahFries; Shakes

My challenge is moving from the first to second table.  I thought I could use a dynamic rename, but based on reviewing the help, I don't think it applies.  I don't want to create hundreds of formulas for each column, because they may change from deliverable to deliverable.

Any help is appreciated.

Toby

3 REPLIES 3
Inactive User
Not applicable

1. Transpose Data Grouping on Name.

1.a) Name2 should be the food and Value should be 1 or 0

2. Formula Field on field Value.

2.a) IF [Value]=1 THEN [Name2] ELSE NULL() ENDIF

3. Filter tool - !Null([Value]) - take true stream.

4. Summarise Tool. Group By Name and Concatenate Name2. Rename Concatenated Name2 Field to Food.

5. Done.

danrh
13 - Pulsar

Just adding to @Inactive User's answer, you can actually skip step 2.  After transposing, filter out the 0's in the value column and concatenate the Name2 column:

image.png

toby_jutras
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks to both of you for the prompt response!

Toby

Labels