Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Replace " and ' characters

Larissaah
7 - Meteor

I am working with data submitted by field personnel. Very often our questions ask for lengths and measurements, and naturally they use " and ' symbols to designate feet and inches, which causes issues in our data and reports later on. I am needing to replace these ' and " characters with "ft" and "in" respectively. For some reason the following will not work for me. I can't just use the StripQuotes() function either because units are pretty important information.

Replace([FIELD], '"', 'ft')
Replace([FIELD], "'", "in")

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Larissaah I mocked up a couple of ways to do this utilising your formula and its working for me.

Replace_05112020.JPG

Larissaah
7 - Meteor

Hi @JopsephSerpis 

You're right, your example does work for me - what the heck! But it will not work for my strings. I added a couple of examples from my data to this. Let me know if I'm just missing something obvious here or what you think. Thanks!

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Larissaah I worked out the issue your " and ' are slightly different in the examples your provided. Therefore I had to copy and paste them from the examples into the formula to work. In the amended workflow attached you see that I have added extra arguments to deal with them. I also came up with a third approach you might find easier to use. Let me know what you think?

Larissaah
7 - Meteor

Ohhh! Thank you so much @JosephSerpis I really needed some fresh eyes on that. My data is submitted via mobile, so that explains it.

The third solution is great! I have not used that tool before, so I appreciate the learning opportunity. Thanks again!

Labels