Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Replace SQL Case statement with nested if's or switch ?

Xoom
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

Long time reader but first time poster. I did search through a few other posts but couldn't quite land on an answer hence my post.

I have a case statement written in SQL as follows which I am trying to replicate via a workflow:

case when store_id in ('AAA', 'BBB') and permission = 'Y' then '8'
  when permission = 'Y' then '7'
  when store_id in ('AAA', 'BBB') then '2'
  else '1'
end as ID

I have done this successfully by adding a formula tool and created a new field with the below logic. From my testing this seems to provide the same as the above.

if [store_id] in ('AAA', 'BBB') and [permission] = 'Y' then 8
elseif [permission] = 'Y' then 7
elseif [store_id] in ('AAA', 'BBB') then 2
else 1
endif

I had thought the switch statement would be a better approach so I tried the below however this resulted in all the values returning as 1. I have used the switch statement before where the logic was only predicated on a single field e.g. month=1, 'JAN' etc but never like this scenario.

This was the code I tried with the switch:

Switch([ID],1,([store_id] in ('AAA', 'BBB') and [permission] = 'Y'), 8,
([permission] = 'Y'), 7,
([store_id] in ('AAA', 'BBB')), 2)

Have I mis-understood the use of the switch for this scenario or is it not possible to have this done via a switch and should I stick with my nested IF approach.

Your assistance would be much appreciated.

Thx

4 REPLIES 4
Kaviyarasan_P
8 - Asteroid

Using Switch for your scenario is difficult. Below are the difficulties: 

1. Assigning the default value.
  2. Multi-condition in the case.

If you are getting the answer in the  IF condition then please use IF condition.

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

For the Switch function:

Switch(Value,Default,Case1,Result1,...,CaseN,ResultN)

The Cases (Case1, Case2, . . , CaseN) can only be values, not other functions or operators/expressions.  So you will have to stick to your IF statements.

Xoom
7 - Meteor

@mbarone wrote:

For the Switch function:

Switch(Value,Default,Case1,Result1,...,CaseN,ResultN)

The Cases (Case1, Case2, . . , CaseN) can only be values, not other functions or operators/expressions.  So you will have to stick to your IF statements.

Thx @mbarone .... yeah ive just stuck with my nested if's ...... not ideal when coming from a java/dev background but it'll do.

Thx again

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Welcome!

Labels