Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Replace Numerous Nulls in 1 Row with Previous Row

GAD318
5 - Atom

Hi Community! I'm in dire need of some help, please see attached picture of the data. My raw data has 2 values for "User Role" on many of my users, which splits into a new row of nulls when importing into Alteryx. I need a formula to replace all the non-null records with the previous row's value. (Ie. Jack Frost would is both a software admin and inspector, so all the nulls should be the same as the previous row)

It's tricky because I need to replace multiple fields so the Multi-Row formula is giving me trouble. The "Login Id" field is also not reading correctly in the formula. Can someone please help with this? I'm thinking there may be a tool that's more efficient than Multi-Row for this issue.

2022-04-28_19-54-54.png

1 REPLY 1
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @GAD318 

I recommend checking this post on the Multi-Row Formula tool. It explains how to use it properly, specially when dealing with filling up empty values.

Other thing to mention is that you should reference field names between bracket notations. Try [Login Id] (with the brackets) and you'll see the field is going to be recognized.

When dealing with multiple fields, the way to go is to use a Multi-Row Formula field for each field you have in your dataset. There are other creative ways if you have several fields, but I wouldn't spend too much time if it's just a few.

Cheers,

Labels