Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Replace Names from one dataset with names from another

yashaschowdary
5 - Atom

Hello,

I have 2 datasets and I am trying to Join them with Branch name, however the names on one data set is written differently from the other. 

For example: 

Dataset 1Dataset 2
Kent RetailKent
Brighton CHRBrighton
Boltley CMBBoltley

I am not able to match the 2 data sets as the names are different. I want to change the names on dataset 1 to be the same as dataset 2. I can not manually change the names as there are over 100 branches. I tried using the 'Find Replace' tool but it did not work. Please could you guys help me solve this issue. 

2 REPLIES 2
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @yashaschowdary 

There are a couple ways you could do this. The first that comes to mind would be to use the Append Fields tool to create a row for every combination of your two datasets. Then, just add a Filter tool to only keep the ones where data set 1 contains the test in data set 2. See the attached workflow. Hope this helps!

Capture.PNG

adamorse
9 - Comet

Is it always the case that first word of the name in Dataset 1 matches the name in Dataset 2?

If so, you could use some Regex to extract the first word in dataset 1 using a formula tool (see screenshot) and then join on the result.

RegEx interpretation

^ - beginning of string

([^\s]*) - group 1 consists of any number of consecutive characters that aren't spaces

\s - space

.* - any characters

$ - end of string

regexreplace.PNG

Labels