Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Repeat sequence for rows based on another variable

Grisham312
6 - Meteoroid

I’m trying to find the best way to sequence a set input and then in order on repeat give a specific output. Similar to the fill down repeating series in excel when you double click on a cell.

I have 2 types Y and N.  For Y it can be B2, B4, B5, B6, B7, B8, B9 and for N it can be A1, A2, A3, A4.  I need them to be repeated/looped. 

Below is an example of my data.

Grisham312_3-1575559705019.png

Below is my desired output.

Grisham312_1-1575559297088.png

Below is the input I want repeated based on whether the data is Y or N.

Grisham312_2-1575559342954.png

Please let me know if you have any suggestion or tips for me!  

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
wdavis
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Grisham312 

I have built a workflow that I think matches what you are looking to achieve.

Using a Multi-Row Formula I am giving a group for each of your 'Types' with numbers up to how many different 'Spots' you have.

To achieve these I also added in a new field in the bottom text input which is 'Group'.

Let me know if this works for you or if you have any questions.

Thanks

Will

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Grisham312,

I believe this is what you're trying to achieve? Also my workflow is fully dynamic to allow the "generating rows" to be changed without need for the formulas to be adjusted as @wdavis does.

image.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know! I've attached my workflow for you to download if needed.

Regards,

Jonathan

JulioMO
9 - Comet

Hi @Grisham312 ,

Attached you will find a simple workflow that gets the job done!

Capture.JPG

Let me know if it works for you. 

Regards!

Peggy
7 - Meteor

I am wondering about the initial input.  The tool looks like "Text Input Tool".  Why use this tool vs regular input?  I used "Input" with a .json file.  But when I do that, these examples don't work - although I can see the data from the input.  .  How do I input the json file as "Text Input"?  The contents will be different every time.  This is not a static input file.

Labels