Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Reordering Rows

ebledsoe22
8 - Asteroid

Hello. I have a specific order for my rows that goes beyond ascension/descension. Am I able to manipulate the row order within Alteryx?

4 REPLIES 4
Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @ebledsoe22 

Could you provide some example of the data before/after the expected row order?

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @ebledsoe22,

Typically to order a row with some logic you would create a column with the logic then order ascending or descending by that. Or if you have a file in an order you like you could add a record ID and join that onto your data then sort on that record ID. Do you have an example of what you're trying to archive?

ebledsoe22
8 - Asteroid

Hello. Sorry for the late reply. I had to step away. Below is current order of rows:

ebledsoe22_0-1667219842887.png

The Order I need the rows to be in:

ebledsoe22_1-1667219884125.png

There isn't a rhyme or reason to the order, but a preference imposed by management for consistency purposes. Is there a way for me to reorder the rows the simple way that we reorder the columns?

DanFlint
8 - Asteroid

@ebledsoe22You aren't able to manipulate the row order as you can columns in a select tool.

However, could you use the data in your second image as a lookup to order the fields?

Using a lookup with a RecordID tool, joining it to the main data and using a sort can order the rows to your preference:

DanFlint_0-1667230388481.png

Labels