Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Rendering multiple tables onto separate named tabs in excel

markalves
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I have 5 different tables that I have rendered into 5 different tabs in an excel file using the union tool.  But when I do this it does not give me the option to name each tab.  How do I combine all these tables into one excel file and be able to name each tab?

markalves_0-1631583916299.png

8 REPLIES 8
Ar13f
10 - Fireball

Dear @markalves 

do you mean, those 5 different tables are in each tab? If yes, there is a tool "Block until done" which does not require any configuration. Apply this tool before union tool.

hope this helps you

sparksun
11 - Bolide

Check my attached workflow and settings to see how to make it.

sparksun_0-1631587774004.png

markalves
8 - Asteroid

No they are 5 different tables that need to be on separate tabs.  My current workflow is perfect in splitting them out to different tabs on the same excel file, but the tabs need to be named. 

Ar13f
10 - Fireball

dear @markalves 

Based on my experience and suggestions from the community here, I will use a workflow like this:

markalves1.png

and the result :

Markalves2.png

I include the workflow I usually do. hope this helps..

ncrlelia
11 - Bolide

Hi @markalves,

I'm not sure if my approach is the most efficient way, but this is how I did for my project.

Essentially,

1. I used the Text Input tool to create the sheet names. Index the sheets with a prefix as the Excel output will automatically sort them in alphabetical order.
  2. In the last layout tool (green box) which combine all the table layouts (blue box), 
    • Group by SheetName (i.e. the Name of the field that contains the sheet names)
    • Orientation: Vertical with Section Breaks
    • Section Name: SheetName

ncrlelia_0-1631668659464.png

ncrlelia_1-1631668748933.png

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Lelia

markalves
8 - Asteroid

This worked like a charm.  Thank you so much for the clear explanation.  

sparksun
11 - Bolide

It's a pity that you didn't check my workflow carefully.Actually it not only splits different tabs but also names different tabs.It's almost the same solution as  Ncrlelia's

markalves
8 - Asteroid

I couldn't get yours to work. It was the box in the layout tool where I had to select section name was greyed out.  But after playing around with it I found that if I unclick the table box, then click it again the section name box is no longer greyed out. Your workflow then works. I'll accept as solution as well. 

Labels