community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Upgrade Alteryx Designer in 10 Steps

Debating whether or not to upgrade to the latest version of Alteryx Designer?

LEARN MORE

Rendering by groups of data and including multiple tabs of manipulation from the data

Meteoroid

Use Case:

I have 100,000 records with the following field names: Employee ID, Name, Group, Team, Project, Number of Hours.

Within these records are 20 groups, so each group will have 5,000 records. 

I need to render 20 separate excel files for each group, and within each separate file by group needs to contain the same 4 tab names, tab name a, b, c, d.

Example,

Tab A: All the data specific to group 1

Tab B: Summary of Group, Project, Hours

Tab C: Summary of Group, Team, Project, hours

Tab Summary of Group, Team, Project, Name, hours

So the separate file for group 1, should have the following excel tab names: Tab A, Tab B, Tab C, Tab D

The separate file for group 2, should have the following excel tab names: Tab A, Tab B, Tab C, Tab D

The separate file for group 3, should have the following excel tab names: Tab A, Tab B, Tab C, Tab D 

and so on and so on ....

When it's all said and done I need 20 seperate excel files rendered to a folder, each file name equaling the group name, and each file containing the same 4 tab names and the 4 tabs within each file need to be specific to their group.

Please let me know if you need more details. 

Alteryx Partner

Hi Tom,

My approach here would be to create a workflow with 4 outputs for each of the tabs as explained below, and use the super-friendly "Take File/Table Name From Field" function in the Output tool to select the [Group] field.

Tab A: Pretty straightforward -- Input Data >>  Output || Tab A with "Take File/Table Name From Field" (and [Group] field) selected in the Output Data function. This should create Tab A for each of the 20 groups.

Tab B: Input >> Summarize Tool (group by [Project] + sum of [Hours]) >> Output || Tab B with "Take File/Table Name From Field" (and [Group] field) selected.

Tab C: Input >> Summarize (group by [Team] + group by [Project] + sum of [Hours]) >> Output || Tab C with "Take File/Table Name From Field" (and [Group] field) selected.

Tab  Input >> Summarize (group by [Team] + group by [Project] + group by [Name] + sum of [Hours]) >> Output || Tab D with "Take File/Table Name From Field" (and [Group] field) selected.

This should give you 20 excel files with 4 tabs each.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Tej

Highlighted
Meteoroid

Tej,

Thank you for the quick reply. 

I forgot to mention in my post, I am restricted to the reporting tools because the data must be formatted a certain way for each tab. 

Is there a way you can do it making use of the reporting tools? 

Thanks,

Tom

Alteryx Partner

Hi Tom,

Sorry for the delayed response.

Yes, the workflow above holds good for that too. However, instead of outputting the data to excel after summarizing you may have to use the "Table" + "Layout" + "Render" functions under the "Reporting" tab to get the desired output. Please use the "Group Data into Separate Reports" field. This will provide the desired output. I'm sorry, I am unable to provide an example workflow illustrating this.

Cheers

Tej

Labels