Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Render tool - Output to same excel file / how to name different tabs?

RHehlmann
7 - Meteor

I want to output several outputs to the same excel file. With the output tool, I'm able to name the various tabs using .xlsx|||Tabname syntax. How to I achieve the same effect using the render tool such that I can have a pretty excel output with nicely named tabs?

3 REPLIES 3
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hi @RHehlmann

You can use the layout tool to group your records together so they will output on seperate tabs. See the attached example where I split the file into different segments:

ReportSplit.PNG

@LordNeilLord

Part time Tableau, Part Time Alteryx. Full Time Awesome

Data Lover

RHehlmann
7 - Meteor

That worked, thanks. I'm now using two fields (one for the file name, i.e., one for each quarter and one for the tab name) and group by both. That should hopefully give me a file for each quarter with the nicely formatted tables in correctly named tabs.

RachelH
5 - Atom

Hi @LordNeilLord

I have a workflow that creates three outflows that I want to render into the same Excel file but different tabs. Using you fix above, I managed to make it work by using union to join each table then layout to do what you suggested.

The problem with this is that each of my output tables are quite different in terms of the amount of columns but because I've essentially joined them all together, each table is exactly the same width meaning my output with abut 12 columns looks amazing but my output with only two columns looks ridiculous. 

Is there any way to get around this and make it more nicely organised?

Thanks,

Rachel

Labels