Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Render to multiple tabs in 1 excel file

Chelseaa
7 - Meteor

Hi all,

My first time using render (i usually use an output tool), but i need to customise the table (eg. highlight certain rows according to a formula etc) so im using a basic table tool then render, however, i need to output the data into multiple tabs in 1 file (when i tried by myself, there is no option to select which tab i want to render to)

in the column " External? ", if it is = external, i want those data in a tab called "External Projects", the rest of the data should be outputted into a tab called "Internal Projects" [all in the same excel file]

Would appreciate some advice on this, thanks alot! 🙂

13 REPLIES 13
Assaf_m
11 - Bolide

Check attached solution,

let me know if it works for you

I used the below option

Assaf_m_0-1606389786915.png

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Chelseaa 

Here is how you do it.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1606390988004.png

Step1 : make sure you assign group by like below.

atcodedog05_1-1606391009817.png

Step2 : Configure like highlighted below with section as the groups.

atcodedog05_2-1606391071814.png

atcodedog05_3-1606391162057.png

This was you can get multiple sheets and also specify sheet names.

Hope this helps 🙂 Feel to ask if you have any questions

If this post helps you please mark it as solution. And give a like if you dont mind 😀👍

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Chelseaa,

I'd use a slightly different technique to @Assaf_m and use the layout tool to define "Section Names" (in other words sheet name) in the Layout tool which will allow you to render with the external projects and internal projects sheet names you wanted.

Jonathan-Sherman_0-1606391553383.png

Jonathan-Sherman_0-1606391665737.png

Jonathan-Sherman_1-1606391566467.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know! I've attached my workflow for you to download if needed.

EDIT: Same method as @atcodedog05

Regards,

Jonathan

Chelseaa
7 - Meteor

@Assaf_m @atcodedog05 @Jonathan-Sherman 

Hi all, thanks for your help! i have tried your methods but i am facing 2 issues. 

1. I have a warning from the Render tool: "The current page layout will cause some data to be incorrectly truncated. you may consider modifying how the data is laid out"

And when i open the excel file, i get this prompt as well:

Chelseaa_2-1606404594985.png

if i click "yes", 

Chelseaa_4-1606404712057.png

And my excel sheet does not look normal at all (the column names are all being cut off. for reference, column A = 'segment' and column B = 'function'):

Screenshot 2020-11-26 at 11.33.16 PM.png

2. the file being generated only create 1 tab, although my grouping has 2 types of grouping.

Would appreciate if i can get some advice on this, thank you!

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Chelseaa,

This will be caused because of the "size" you're rendering too (in this case the width of the table), you'll want to take a look at the bottom of the configuration pane of the render tool.

Jonathan-Sherman_0-1606405277709.png

If you change your Paper Size to "Custom" and increase the first number (8.5) this should solve your issue, i'd go about increasing it in units of 10 and depending on whether the width of the table is going to be increasing from the size it is currently then perhaps also give it a bit of a further buffer!

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know!

Kind regards,

Jonathan

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

With regards to the second point could you check the layout tool to ensure you're specifying the "sheet name" field?

Jonathan-Sherman_0-1606405576069.png

And also check you're using the [Layout] field in the render tool with section breaks?

Jonathan-Sherman_1-1606405611514.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know! Might be easier to diagnose if you're able to attach your current workflow? (even if it uses dummy data)

Regards,

Jonathan

Chelseaa
7 - Meteor

@Jonathan-Sherman 

That works, thank you!

Sorry, another question, how to i change the alignment for certain columns?

eg. for numerical data (jan20, feb20, mar20 columns), i would like the alignment to be to the right, but for text data (Location city / work country), alignment to the left

Chelseaa_0-1606406858920.png

if it is not possible to customise the alignment for certain columns only, how do i make everything aligned to the left? my current settings is already left:

or am i looking at the wrong setting?

Chelseaa_2-1606408047903.png

Thank you!!

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Chelseaa,

You can change the alignment for certain columns in the Table tool:

Jonathan-Sherman_0-1606408198421.png

Select the field to change the alignment for and you'll find the dropdown on the right hand side "Alignment H", just change that to left.

If you're wanting to change the alignment of any new columns that may come in the future then you can go through the exact same process with the "Dynamic or Unknown Field" placeholder

Jonathan-Sherman_1-1606408318376.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know!

Regards,

Jonathan

Chelseaa
7 - Meteor

thank you so much @Jonathan-Sherman , you have been a really really big help!! 🙂

Labels