Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Render a report with no record

KarenYL
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have a workflow that runs bi-monthly to show pending requests at that moment, which means there will be time when nothing is pending.  When that happens, I still want to have the report with only column titles. But my current workflow won't render any output when record =0. Is there a way to get the output to show there's no pending?

KarenYL_0-1619811421660.png

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Your problem is that the true side of your filter has all of the content. The true side won't run if nothing is true. it's not just about having zero records - it's about passing the filter.

Perhaps you can throw something into the false side like using a multi-field to create a record of the [_currentfieldname_] and then rendering that?

KarenYL
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for pointing out my workflow problem, apathetichell,. My false side has approved/denied records. I don't know how to do what you suggested, though. 

Joe_McCoy
8 - Asteroid

I have something similar in some work I am doing and here's how I got it to work. If the formula tool is only creating a timestamp, I would move it back to the filter and then append it to the true side of the filter. Then you always have at least one field and row to pass to the table. At least that worked for me.

Joe

Joe_McCoy_0-1619816227035.png

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Wasn't sure if you just wanted rendered field names if there are no records - or your standard columns but with 0 records. There's probably an easier way to do the later but this should generate that - and remove the zero field entries if there actually is anything from the filter.

KarenYL
8 - Asteroid

Thank you, Joe! 

I took your idea, added Date Time Now input tool and append it to true side of my first filter. It worked! I got a report with just column name but no record under, exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Thank you, apathetichell, too for your input!

Labels