Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Render Tool - Output to Dynamically Named Excel File

Jes
8 - Asteroid

I am using a 'Basic Table' tool to format an excel table with coloured headings etc.

I'd like to output this table into a dynamically named excel file.

The file path for the output file is saved in 'Outputfilelocation' column as seen below. I've included screen prints of my tool configurations.

In the current state, the workflow is not able to output the result. My excel output is working perfectly. What exactly am I doing wrong?

JH0123_2-1611589084676.png

JH0123_3-1611589118394.png

5 REPLIES 5
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @Jes ,

check out this example. I have used relative paths to write into the folders I created and worked fine:

Untitled.png

Regards

Jes
8 - Asteroid

Hi @afv2688 

Some questions regarding your workflow and the render tool configuration:

1. In your workflow, wondering why you had 2 rows containing 2 different file locations under 'Field4'? Wouldn't 1 row of 'Field4' suffice?

JH0123_0-1611592047634.png

2. In the Render tool configuration, what is the purpose of the 'Output File' selection? Can I enter a random/non-existing folder path here or does this have to be the file path of an existing file? 

Reason I ask: My output file name is dynamic because it has a date & time stamp embedded in the file name. As a result, I cannot point the Render tool to 1 fixed output file location in the configuration tool.

JH0123_1-1611592105432.png

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @Jes ,

If you only need one location to write all the results its ok, you can use the same location for all. I was just showing that it is possible to write to multiple locations with the same table.

Regarding the second question, yes you can write there whatever you want, as long as the "replace entire path with group" option is selected on the dropdown. Just write something as a dummy.

The path does not need to exists but needs to be accesible to the machine. You cannot write to a path which is inaccesible.

Regards

Jes
8 - Asteroid

@afv2688 

Thank you for your help!

I realized what I was doing wrong after comparing my workflow to yours.

My file path name contained the worksheet name as well. After removing the worksheet name, I am now able to output the file with a dynamic name into an excel format...but the file looks broken when I open it. Some characters are dropped off from column headings, etc.

JH0123_0-1611594496722.png

JH0123_0-1611594670164.png

Prasenjeet
5 - Atom

The render tool layout settings should be changed to custom to accommodate the width of your file , start with 100x100 and then trim it down.

Labels