Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Render Tool-Alteryx Gallery-limit records displayed

Shelton_Thompson
8 - Asteroid

Hello

I have a workflow where the output is 100K+ records out on our Alteryx Gallery and I have a render tool outputing the data to a pcxml file to show the data in the gallery and allow the user to choose how they wish to export it.

However due to the number of records, it never finishes loading in the Alteryx Gallery after running so i am wondering if there is a way with the render tool, to break the report out in pages and display only for example 10k records at a time and allow the user to page through all the data, with the export still having all the records. Any ideas on how to do this or is there another solution that others have found that works better?

2 REPLIES 2
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

100K records is a lot to render to a browser.  For a test, I output 120K records to a PCXML file on my desktop.  It's been rendering the PCXML viewer for about 10 minutes now and it's only up to record 6,100.  I would imagine in the Gallery it would take even longer to render it in the browser.  I'm not sure PCXML was designed to handle that many records.  

If it were me, and I had to give them a few download options, and a view of the data, I would display to the user the first couple dozen records via PCXML, give them a count of how many total records there were, and let them download the rest in CSV or XLSX or whatever format via the dropdown at the top of the app (meaning make 3 or more outputs outputs - one PCXML of the first 20 records or so, a second one that's XLSX and a third one that's CSV, etc.  It duplicates data that way, but I can't think of any other way (other than to instruct them to execute the app, and come back and check in a few hours or the next day).

jarrod
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

i think @mbarone has the right idea. Have 1 output in yxdb that they can download in many different formats then break the pcxml output into chunks of 2000 or whatever you see is working. The dropdown list in the output window will serve as a paging mechanism while they still have the option to download the whole set. 

Labels