Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Render 2 Types of Sheets to One File?

rebusi1
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I am trying to generate reports that have a summary sheet at the front and workpapers behind it. I am currently using the render tool to create both type of sheets (summary and workpaper) because they have specific--but different--formatting requirements. 

My problem comes up when I try to combine these sheets into one file. Is there a way to use a render tool to output two different types of sheets to one file? Or use two workflows to render different data to the same file? My understanding (and experience) is that rendering to a file overwrites the whole file, making this impossible. Just want to confirm this is the case before coming up with a different solution. 

Thanks in advance for any help or input!

5 REPLIES 5
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @rebusi1, you can use a layout tool to specify the sheet name. You'll have to select the vertical with section breaks orientation in the layout tool, and then it gives you an option to specify a section name for each reporting element:

patrick_digan_0-1612807089979.png

Then the render tool will use that section name as the tab name when it renders.

Let me know if you have any specific questions on trying to get your setup working!

rebusi1
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you for your response @patrick_digan ! 

If the two sheets are generated from two completely different flows, where do you recommend I connect them to be able to render to one file?

Each flow has a series of tools, and then uses the reporting tools to generate a table with headers etc. Currently both flows have a render output (ie there is nothing connecting them currently). 

Do I need to combine them using a reporting tool or a union? Do I do that before the layout tool or after? 

Thank you!

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@rebusi1 In my quick test it looks like you can do this: In each of your 2 workflows, swap out a render tool with an output tool to .yxdb. Then create a new workflow which takes each of your 2 yxdb's as inputs and then joins them together based on record position (I'm assuming you just have 1 record on each side). Then put a layout tool in and add the sheet names for each section. Then connect the layout tool to the render tool.

rebusi1
6 - Meteoroid

That worked! Thank you so much! I was able to use a union just after each layout tool and didn't have to change any other settings. 

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@rebusi1 Awesome! Glad to see you came up with the simpler method 🙂

Labels