Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Renaming files at system level

RPS
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

I am a relatively new starter and I have a question about renaming files in a directory.  I have searched the community boards and came across a similar question but it didn't look to be resolved, an so my post.  Issue described below:

I have a directory with pdf documents that look like this (these are published journal articles):

A.pdf

B.pdf

C.pdf

I have a flat file (csv or excel) from my database that lists bibliographic details of publications with a system generated ID like so:

Ax1

Bx2

Cx3

A, B & C correspond, so now I want to rename my pdf files (in my directory) with the system IDs in the format <system ID.pdf>

Is there a way to automate this in Alteryx? Can files be physically renamed at the system level?

I have done a basic workflow using the above two as inputs where I have name matched but that is as far as I got.  I don't know how to rename.  

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13
hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@DavidP 

This is an awesome little tool!  I am using it to rename hundreds of bookmarks created from splitting PDFs.  I have to reach into the filename and add padding to a number sequence so they would order correctly.  And, I am doing this between Parallels (Windows) and my Mac file structure.  

THANKS.

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

It's great that you find it useful @hellyars 

The Run Command tool gives you lots of extra super powers!

gauravnegi2
8 - Asteroid

Hi @DavidP  can i do the same for .xlsx file. As i dont want to change the format of the file but yes i want to rename the file.

Shaaz
9 - Comet

Hi,

Can we avoid workflow throwing an error if there is no file to rename.

Basically, when file is present to rename, then rename the file. If file is not present, then workflow should not throw an error.

Labels