Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Renaming Columns from UI in Filter Tool

andrewc22
7 - Meteor

I am having trouble running my workflow through a filter tool when I run it as an analytic app.

When I regularly run my workflow, the filter tools all execute and the output looks great. I need to do the same thing as this, but dynamically rename the column names to whatever the user inputs for both instances.

when the user renames the instance names, the data will not run through the filter tool. I have an action tool set up before the filter to update the value, but it still will not work.

Any suggestions? I have attached this section of my workflow below

8 REPLIES 8
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @andrewc22 ,

I'm not sure what you mean. You can't change the name of the columns in a filter tool. Do you mean you are trying to change the field on which the filter is being applied?

If so, you can click on your action tool and select the "Field - Value" in the "Simple" section. This will then change the field selector:

mceleavey_0-1615932265141.png

If this is not what you mean can you please post your workflow and some mock data so we can help?

M.

Bulien

andrewc22
7 - Meteor

@mceleavey Is this possible to do on a custom filter? 

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi!

Yes you can do this using the custom filter option, in the ‘tree menu’ you will see your statement written, you will then have to use the ‘replace specific string’ option available at the bottom of the action menu, here you would place your field name (but don’t include the square brackets in the value you want to replace).

If you have multiple actions going into your filter tool, which it looks like you may, then we may have to try something different, but let’s hit that hurdle when we come to it.

ben

andrewc22
7 - Meteor

@BenMoss That is what i am doing here, with one of the action tools replacing instance 1 and the other instance 2. I need to replace those values with what the user inputs for what theyd like to name "instance 1" and "instance 2" in the UI.

I have uploaded pics of the action tool configuration and the filter tool I am working with.

Any tips?

Ben_H
11 - Bolide

Hi @andrewc22,

I'm also a bit unsure what you're trying to achieve here but here are my thoughts -

Updating the expression in the filter doesn't change the actual field names.

Let's say I input X and Y for my user input, that action just changes the expression to [X StartDate] = [Y StartDate].

Unless you already have these columns in the data it will fail.

If you're literally just trying to rename the columns before output (and what the filter actually does would be the same either way) just point your actions at a select tool and change the name after any filtering or transformations have been done.

Regards,

Ben

andrewc22
7 - Meteor

@Ben_H  So if i changed the name in a select before the filter tool, what would my variables in the filter tool be? I have ex. "[Instance 1_StartDate]" now.

If the name changes in the select tool, wont it still not run through the filter tools with that variable?

andrewc22
7 - Meteor

@Ben_H  All i am trying to do is rename the columns before output, so when run as an analytic app the name of the columns change so they will not be accepted into the filter tools. so I am unsure of variables to use in the filter tool, or how else I could connect the action tools.

Ben_H
11 - Bolide

Hi @andrewc22 

What I'm saying is that if this has absoluetly nothing to do with the data, and is literally only to do with the naming of columns do it at the end.

AFTER all the filtering etc has been done.

REgards,

Ben

Labels