Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Rename fields using analytic apps

isaac_lane
7 - Meteor

Require the field names of an incoming data stream to have their fields renamed to standardised field names that the user types in (there is a set naming convention, however the data input rarely has the same field names) using an analytic app that is simple to use. The rest of the calculations behind the workflow use these standardised field names for financial calcs and summary bins to create a dashboard. I also require a way to change field data types in a similar way i.e. have the select tool interface on the analytic app where fields can be renamed and their field type changed, but using an analytic app.

I have attached a dummy data set with the method I tried to complete the above with, however did not work.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I would probably use a text input field with some dummy field names connected to a dynamic rename tool to rename the fields. You can then connect Text box tools to the Text input tool to replace the dummy field names with the names supplied by the user.

Will there be a text box for each field so that each text box and action tool updates a different field from the input data.

If you could supply an example of how you want the user to input the new field names, that would be helpful.

Also, how do you want to change the data types?

app to rename fields.png

Labels