Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Rename and Move Files after Processing - Run Command Error

kpreddypadira
6 - Meteoroid

Hello, 

This is my first stint with the "Run command" tool and am new to working with .bat files too. I would really appreciate if someone could help me understand the reason for this error. 

The objective of this workflow is to consume n number of excel files, append them, rename and move them to another folder.

The workflow works if I try to just move or just rename the files, but fails when I try to do both. I get an 'Error Code 1' on the Run Command tool.

I tried to separating them and triggering the other workflow from 'Events' but got an 'Access denied' error. A quick google search and I realized maybe it was a license issue.

Also, when I rename the '.xlsx' file, it becomes unusable.

I am attaching the sample workflow I have been working on. Please advise.

Thank you

Pratheek

2 REPLIES 2
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @kpreddypadira 

The configuration of your Run Command tool looks suspiciously familiar 🙂

Error code 1 means that the dos command you're creating has a syntax error in it. 

My suggestion is that you copy the output of your [cmd] field after the summarize tool to a Run Command window an run it from there to see what the error is.

My most common mistake with these commands is that if the path or filename has a space in it, you have to put the whole path and filename in double quotes, like this:

COPY "C:\Location 1\file1.ext" "C:\Location 2\file2.ext"

If you want to include multiple commands in a single line, separate them with " & "

bur if you look at your cmd field in a command window you should be able to figure out what's wrong with it.

kpreddypadira
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you for that answer.

Honestly, I have no idea how it is working this morning.

I did rewrite the Formula tool, the cmd block and it works like a charm. Maybe it was the extra spacing. 

Thanks again.

Labels