Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Rename a file after processing

Bbadef
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone,

I have a question with run command tool and if I can get help from you guys, I will be appreciated!

I found a answer from https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Renaming-files-at-system-level/td-p/37... about how to rename a file

What I wrote in  cmd is: 'ren '+[Directory]+[FileName]+'  '+'PROCESS-'+[FileName] to rename the file.

However, I just realize there is space in the path so there is always an error 1 message. I've attached an example for the path,folder and file. 

Path:C:\2021 Inventory\Fresh Fruit\Apple

Folder:September 2021(changed based on moth)

File: apple sale_11_08_2021.xlsx(changed based on day)

What I expect is PROCESSED-apple sale_11_08_2021.xlsx  after processing.

If I can get some advice for how can I make it work, I will be appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
AZuc
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Bbadef if there's a space in the path or filename, you must build your expression putting the files in quotes

Ex:

ren "C:\2021 Inventory\Fresh Fruit\Apple\apple sale_11_08_2021.xlsx" "C:\2021 Inventory\Fresh Fruit\Apple\PROCESSED-apple sale_11_08_2021.xlsx"

André Zuccatti

Sales Engineer - LATAM -
Alteryx, Inc.

AZuc
Alteryx
Alteryx

or

'ren "'+[Directory]+[FileName]+'"  '"+'PROCESS-'+[FileName]+'" '

André Zuccatti

Sales Engineer - LATAM -
Alteryx, Inc.

Bbadef
8 - Asteroid

Hi Azuc,

Thank you for your help!It works like a charm!

cmsteinberg
5 - Atom

Hello.  I am wondering if there is a way to capture the original source file name by using the directory tool, and then pulling it into the rename formula?

I was thinking the select records tool or sample first n when n=1.

Thanks.

Labels