Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Removing the first character of the column

fangyi189
8 - Asteroid

Hi all, I am quite new to Alteryx. I am trying to remove the first character of one column, it is currently a string now.

So ex. 

111a

112b

113c

I want to make it so that it'll be

RowID

11a

12b

13c

12 REPLIES 12
Venessa
6 - Meteoroid

Your explanation is greatly appreciated.  I used this after trying all the various tiles  and formulas, which did not work, but this was PERFECT!

mst3k
11 - Bolide

if all you need to do is remove the first character, a substring would be the simplest way

substring([FieldName],1,999999)

choose an appropriate length to make sure you get everything, i.e. make sure your field isn't 100000000 characters long for example.

substring in alteryx starts at 0, which is why we tell it 1 as the starting position in the substring formula. then it skips the first letter and take everything after it. 

it's the same thing in excel, mid([Cell],2,99999999) would get you there the same way. except that excel "starts" counting at 1, so we put 2 in the mid() formula to skip the first character

BrendanCallery
5 - Atom

Thank you so much for clarifying this!!!!!!

Labels