Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Removing quotations - StripQuotes not working

Present_guy
8 - Asteroid

Hi, 

I want to remove the double quotations from the second record in this data set. Neither StripQuotes nor Trim is working. What am I missing here? What's the solution? 

Thanks, 

Dan Stone

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Try using,

trim([Comment],'“')

You weren't doing anything wrong per se. This ascii character isn't considered a quotation mark. So all I did was copy and paste this “ is into your formula.

Hope this helps. 

Edit: It's actually a Left Double Quotation Mark which apparently isn't recognised by StripQuotes.

DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@Present_guy You can use the replace function in the formula tool to replace the quotes.

ReplaceFirst([Field2], '”', '')

ReplaceFirst([Field2], '“', '')
Digan
Alteryx
jrgo
14 - Magnetar

@Present_guy 

REGEX_REPLACE([Comment], '^[[:unicode:]]?(.+?)[[:unicode:]]?$', '$1')

Will also work. This will trim out any non-ascii character (or any char code over 255) that's found either at the beginning or end of the string... may be overkill, but just another option to explore.

Jimmy
Teknion Data Solutions 

Dan_Z
7 - Meteor

@Present_guy 

You can also use a regular expression to strip the quotes out if you see this being a regularly occurring theme in your data. Hope this helps!

clipboard_image_1.png

Labels