Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Removing old data from yxdb

sk1909
8 - Asteroid

I have a yxdb file that has been building for 4 years now.  How do I remove the older data without losing the integrity of the yxdb?  Is there a basic workflow I can create to do this?

I've attached a sample of the yxdb in an excel file.  I only want to keep 2019 and 2020 data that focuses on the LAST_UPDATE_DATE column.

The workflow I have uses yesterday's date and says pull everything after this date so it's just compounding new data to the old yxdb so I'm not worried about that piece.  I just don't want to break anything but I really need to speed up this workflow and this is a HUGE part of it.  If I can reduce the size of the 5 yxdb files, instead of it taking 8-10 hours to run, I can get it done in 3-5 hours.

Thanks to anyone willing to help!

Sheila

6 REPLIES 6
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @sk1909,

If I understood correctly you should use a simple filter tool. I would advise creating a backup copy of a file before you will do the operation just to make sure that you are safe.

Hope it helps. 

Emil_Kos_0-1599850108803.png

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

After the filter, you may want to use a Block until Done, then use an Output tool to overwrite the YXDB file.

sk1909
8 - Asteroid

I'm going to try this now.  I've already created a duplicate of the yxdb file to practice on.  Thank you!

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @sk1909,

Np. Hope it was helpful 🙂

sk1909
8 - Asteroid

This worked!  I reduced my file size successfully.  I need to reduce it some more though so I'm also dropping 2019 with the same process.  Thank you!

sk1909
8 - Asteroid

Thank you, Chris for the suggestion.  It forced the data to dissect completely before starting the output file.

Labels