Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Removing non-data points from box and whiskers chart

creily
8 - Asteroid

I have a four column data set, 2 columns have 5 rows and 2 columns have 3 rows. When I try and make a box and whiskers chart, it adds 2 extra points in the plot for the 2 columns with only 3 data points. How do i get it to only show the correct number of points? I tried the data cleansing tool to remove all the "nulls", but that only removed the "null" text on the x-axis when i first tried.

7 REPLIES 7
gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

If you could please share the workflow with the sample data would be helpful. Maybe you need to fill the missing values with something, like zero or the average.

creily
8 - Asteroid

Hi Gabriel,

Just attached a screen shot of the workflow and the excel file. Nothing complicated here, just not sure how to fix. 

gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

Is this what you want? I just transposed the table.

gabrielvilella_0-1650492002294.png

creily
8 - Asteroid

That was a cool way to solve the problem. Is there a way to change the color of the boxes? I essentially have two groups "HC" and "IgAN"

gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

I had to change it to a multiple layer layout, but I could only change the color of the shaded area, the line is still on the original color. Alteryx needs to improve this. 

gabrielvilella_0-1650494866136.png

creily
8 - Asteroid

Maybe ill just try and do this in R, this [?] function isn't working on my end.

LiuZhang
9 - Comet
Spoiler
Screenshot 2022-04-24 230915.png

The previous workflow is pretty good, it works fine on my side. I add the points into it, it reflects the points count you want. (You maybe able to plot them side by side, by create a new column name for them then format it which is a bit unnecessary work.)

Since you have HC/IgAn vs Ctrl/Cytok, I think a 2x2 grid will be useful if you have more data points. I would probably go for facet_grid in ggplot2 then.

Labels