Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Removing any columns with a null.

dogregory
7 - Meteor

Hello, 

Due to company policy I can't post a workflow file or any live data. Instead I have a snapshot of the tail end of a workflow I am working on and am hoping someone will come up with a solution.

I have an output that if a null value appears in the column, it needs to be eliminated; the whole column. The way the workflow is set up if there is a null in the column it's because it didn't meet a criteria. You can't see them but there are columns completely filled with numbers. 

So far I have tried Auto-Field so as to reduce every column to its smallest data type, and then select out columns with no data. While this has worked for some fields, I have 175 columns to filter through, and in any iteration about 5-20 columns will match. Most will have some data in the bottom two rows, and more when I add more rows under it. 

So is there a way to eliminate any column with a null? I was thinking some kind of filter, but I can't write a custom filter with 175 columns (the number of columns might change).

Thanks for any help.

2 REPLIES 2
kelsey_kincaid
12 - Quasar

Hi @dogregory ,

I recommend something like the below. First, transpose the data. Second, determine which fields are null. Then, you can join your null fields with your non-null fields, but only return the columns that did not join with any of the null fields. Let me know if this works for you or if I can help answer any questions.

kelsey_kincaid_0-1613539274230.png

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @dogregory , if you are using latest version of Alteryx then you might be able to eliminate null rows and columns using data cleansing tool. Below is the illustration.

1. Input file

grazitti_sapna_0-1613540741438.png

2. Data cleansing tool configuration.

grazitti_sapna_1-1613540783440.png

This will eliminate the null rows. In case you want to remove columns then you can check remove null column option. If this helps kindly mark this post as solution.

Thanks.

Sapna Gupta
Labels