Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Removing all data below a line break

mollymann23
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I have a data set that contains active and inactive loans. I am trying to exclude the inactive loans from the population; however, there is no identifier in the data to determine which loans are active or inactive other than a line break in the data. All inactive loans fall below the blank line break.

Is there a filter to only select data above a line break or to remove all data below a line break? I would like to be able to create a dynamic workflow that can handle many months worth of data where the location of the line break changes each period.

Thanks,

Molly

5 REPLIES 5
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

can you post sample data? ie one active and one inactive loan? There's probably something that works with a recordid, text to columns on \n delimiter into two columns and then filtering out based upon values in the second column (ie the one below the line) but implementing it without data is kind of a shot in the dark.

mollymann23
6 - Meteoroid

Hello, 

I have attached some sample data. The loan above the line is active and the loan below the line is inactive. Thanks

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @mollymann23 ,

you could add RecordIds to your data set, find the ID of the separator line (blank line) and select all records with RecordId < RecordId of separator line. I've attached a sample workflow. 

What do you think?

Best,

Roland

mollymann23
6 - Meteoroid

Roland,

This works great! Thanks so much for your speedy help.

-Molly

btarrow
5 - Atom

@RolandSchubert

This workflow works great when there is only one blank line in the data. Can anyone help if my data has multiple blank rows but I want the data to stop at the first one?

Thanks, 

Labels